Sunday, June 1, 2014

PLAY!- A Multimodal Presentation




Multimodal Presentation File

Self-Assessment of Presentation 6/7/14

Readability
Is the typeface attractive and readable?
Yes.
Are there any statistics or other data that would be easier to read in a chart, graph, or table?
Not many.  I could include some data on brain development, but I will only do that if it doesn’t complicate the message too much.
Is high-contrast text, including boldface and all caps, brief enough to be legible?
Yes.  One or two slides are problematic due to a white on light color issue, but I can correct that.

Images and Other Graphics
What do images and other graphics contribute? Do they illustrate a concept? highlight an important point? show something that is difficult to describe in words alone? If the images and other graphics are only decorative, consider removing them.
The images are paired with each concept in order to give some real-world example to the term on the slide.

Are images and other graphics the right size—big enough to read or to see the important detail?
The images were expanded to dominate the slide.  I am not sure if that idea works for the viewer, but I like it.

Do images have an obvious focus? Will readers see the part that matters? If not, consider if you can crop the image.
I am not sure how other viewers will react to each image.  I intended for each image to illustrate the concept in the way that clear, but I will have to see how my audience feels.

Are the charts, graphs, maps, or other graphics clear and informative?
I only used images for this.

If color is used, is it appropriate to the audience and purpose? Does color direct emphasis where it belongs? Are too many colors used?
All of the images are brightly colored, and were chosen based on that in part.

Content Learning
How do all the formal elements, pictorial as well as textual and symbolic, contribute to your emotional response or intellectual understanding of the concept?

This presentation was created to simulate the joy of play.  It is my hope that the fun images, and exhilarating youthful music will remind adults of childhood while expressing the Psychology of “Learning Through Play.”

2 comments:

  1. What interesting tidbit did you learn from the presentation?

    Physical Development is the tidbit I am glad you hit on as I feel this is an area that some children are lacking today. Play is very critical for all the points you mentioned and it really made me think about how important it is to encourage our children to play.

    What image best supported your understanding of, or interest level in, the information?

    I loved all the personal images you used to describe each picture. I felt each picture paired well with the words on the screen.

    Were there any combination of image and words that caused confusion or could have been combined differently to improve understanding?

    The only improvement I might suggest is more time to read. I caught myself at times trying to look at your pictures closely but then ended up missed the words on the screen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE the pictures of you and your kids playing. And it is a fantastic topic on top of the images.

    ReplyDelete